Monday, October 13, 2008

Cider time again!!

It's getting to be that time of year where hot cider runs freely in our house.
I don't know when Dad started making it the way we do, but it's been part of our fall and winter traditions for as long as I can remember.

One thing I discovered this summer, after finding a lost (unopened) jug of cider while we were moving, is that it helps clear up congestion. I had a horrible case of summer allergies (or maybe musty house, I don't know) and after drinking the hot, spiced cider, I could breathe again!!!

So, I use a coffee urn for mine... This one, to be exact. And whatever cider I can find at the grocery store. Refrigerated stuff is yummy, but the stuff from the juice aisle is good too, in fact, apple juice works also. I usually use about a gallon of cider at a time. I pour that into the urn and then add a cinnamon stick (or two), about a teaspoon of whole cloves and a tablespoon of cinnamon candies (Red Hots) to the basket. Then perk as usual.

I bought cider today at the store and already have all the other ingredients.
I am SOOOO making some tomorrow.

2 comments:

Aymee said...

Not a hot drink drinker (LOL) at all, but I have been known to steep a cup of mint tea and just inhale the fumes. *G* So glad you have such a happy tradition to pass down to your children.

Anonymous said...

People at work are already asking when I'll start making cider again. I normally do two cinnamon sticks - or a big one broken in half. And I use more Red Hots.

ME!!!

ME!!!